Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Tummy Needs a Tailgate!

This past weekend was the first home football game here at The University of Mississippi. SF and I gathered our chickens together and headed to the Grove to partake in what Sporting News calls, "The holy grail of tailgating." I think it was Sport's Illustrated that said, "Tailgating in The Grove before an Ole Miss game is an experience so sublime even native son William Faulkner would be at a loss to describe it." In fact, it is this very tradition that inspired my latest picture book. Funny how inspiration hits you.... I wrote my second PB based on a random comment my hairdresser made about her lunch. Hmmm....food must be on my brain most of the time.

As we walked from SF's house to The Grove, visions of tailgating food began to form in our minds. We were salivating while imagining ham biscuits, fried chicken, sugary sweets and no less than 10,000 different dips. After a couple of beers and some chit-chat, we dug in. The first tent had so much food, that I couldn't even begin to list what I saw. The second, smaller tent had the following: Monterey Jack salsa, fried and grilled chicken fingers with two dipping sauces, ham and cheese biscuits, Reuben dip, fresh fruit, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate white chocolate chip cookies, various canapes, a cheese ball, tiny chocolate cupcakes with chocolate icing, bigger strawberry cupcakes with strawberry icing, and homemade caramel popcorn. Today, I thought I'd share a couple of recipes that we particularly enjoyed.

MONTEREY JACK SALSA (courtesy Come on In! Cookbook)
1 can green chilies (4 ounces) chopped
1 can black olives (3 1/2 ounces) chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese shredded
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Blend together and serve with tortilla chips.

REUBEN DIP (courtesy Whitney Byars)
6 ounces shredded Swiss
6 ounces shredded Cheddar
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
5 ounces shredded corned beef (I think I'd use pastrami)
12 ounces sauerkraut, drained

Mix together. Put in greased dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with Wheat Thins

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Jeannie said...

I'd like to read the two books you mention. Where can I buy them? And no link to the Come on In Cookbook. Shame on you! My mouth is watering!

Hardygirl said...

I have to say, I'm still recovering from Saturday's game (meaning my cholesteral level and weight), but man, it was fun. And, we walked from my house to the Grove, so some of the overindulgence was cancelled out by our walk, right??

Anyway, I know that the Reuben Dip sounds completely gross, but take it from me--it rocks! As a matter of fact, it would taste really good toasted on a piece of rye bread . . . lunch, anyone? Okay, now I'm craving cheesy, high-fat food again, and I thought I'd spend today eating fruit, raw vegetables and yogurt. Thanks a lot, Katie.

Katie Anderson said...

Mmmm...toasted on rye....good night! I feel a grocery run coming on.

That Reuben dip does sound kinda freakish - but you are right - it ROCKS! (unless you're a Veggie, like I frequently claim to be...oops)

SF, you should have come to Zumba with me this morning and danced all of your extra calories off :-)

Disco Mermaids said...

That picture is unreal! You could lose your chickens in that crowd!!!

And let me know when you come up with a vegan Reuben dip. (Even though it does sound good!)

BTW, I met a mom today who does Zumba. Serendipity, man. I think I'm gonna have to try it!

Hugs,
Robin

Katie Anderson said...

I'm on it Robyn! Veganize it. Hmmm....so no cheese and no meat. This will be hard.

And Zumba is so much dang fun - I can't wait 'til you try it! I am sore today from shaking my tailfeather so hard yesterday. My 7 year old told me that I could shake it so well because I had a "big, boneless booty!" HAHA

Katie Anderson said...

Jeannie - I added the link. Thanks!

And my books will be in a bookstore near you, in the not so distant future. (depends on your idea of "not so distant.")

Thanks for all of your continuous praise!

Katie Anderson said...

YIKES ROBIN! I spelled your name wrong! -ha! It's 'cuz my friend here spells hers with a "y"

Sorry Charlie!

Disco Mermaids said...

No, problem, Katy.

(That's how my cousin spells her name.)

Tee-hee,
RobIn

Christy Raedeke said...

I'm SO not into football but I would love to spend a couple hours grazing at that tailgater! Oregon tailgaters feature far to many tofu dogs, garden burgers, and hemp beers - I'd take a vat of rueben dip and a cold Bud Light over that any day...

Katie Anderson said...

How funny Christy!

I dare say there's not a tofu dog to be found in the whole place! Much less a veggie burger, or vegetables, for that matter

Unless they are baked or mixed with ten pounds of cheese. ie: spinach dip...

But now if you want to knosh (how do you spell that?) on loads of greasy, cheesy, yummy stuff, come on down!!! We'd love to have you!

Our Motto

Our Motto