Friday, November 7, 2008

Finding my Groove.


For as long as I can remember I have been addicted to music. As a little girl, much to my parents dismay, I would fall asleep with headphones on. And as an adult, my ipod is never far from me. Music has been a near constant companion to me. I should have been that person that chooses the songs for a movie soundtrack. I would rock that job!!!

So, as I have started to get cranking on my novel, I have searched for a great compilation to write to. My musical tastes are so diverse that it has been a joy, and a struggle to find just the right mix to blare into my ears while creating this wicked cool story. Usually, I am a fan of movie soundtracks - specifically the score. But I have been unable to find a score that I am not already familiar with. I need a new one. One that compliments the action in my story. A strange, long lost score. Songs with words generally distract me because I find myself either listening to the words, or singing them. And mixed with trying to write different words, I get all ADD confused.

Last night I downloaded the soundtrack to Twilight. (Only two more weeks!!!) I immediately LOVED Supermassive Black Hole by Muse. It's the kind of song that makes me want to drive way too fast and wear tight black leather pants. Seriously, it does. And just to emphasize my diverse tastes, my second favorite song on that soundtrack is Clair de Lune, which is a beautiful, classical piece that I will no doubt find useful in my writing. It's romantic, and thoughtful. Perhaps a first kiss kind of song. Innocent. I love it. I also love Eyes on Fire, by Blue Foundation. It's groovy, serious, and either extremely sexy, or potentially sad. I don't even know the words to these songs, I am basing my analysis on how they make me feel.

Hmmm.... what to do, what to do.

At least I am ON FIRE with thinking about, and writing my delicious story :)

P.S. I am reading a book called Feathers, by Jacqueline Woodson, in which one of the characters is deaf. He plays a game with his sister where she asks him what he thinks a guitar sounds like. And he signs, "Like rain, coming down real soft when it's warm out and you get a little bit wet, but not cold. That kind of rain." Fascinating.

1 comment:

Hardygirl said...

Did you ever watch "Ally McBeal"? One of my favorite episodes was when Ally's therapist (played by Tracy Ullman) told her to pick a theme song for herself.

I love how music can becomes part of our identity!

SF

Our Motto

Our Motto