Friday, December 19, 2008

Aahhh Revision...


I recently finished my third serious set of revisions and guess what? I LOVED it! And here I was believing revision sucked.

I think I was in such a rush to write the book, that it always felt like an ADD supersonic tangle of ideas and emotions. And although I got everything down, there were scenes that didn't fully capture what I wanted to say. But SF found those areas in her critique and left me notes that said things like, "Kick this up a notch!" or "I need to feel her pain more!" Interestingly, after talking to some other writers about this, I've discovered that most people hate these kinds of requests. But for me, revision allowed me to be still and really enjoy my book in a way that I had not experienced while writing it.

It felt like slowly savoring a delicious chocolate torte. The process was relaxing, thoughtful and yummy. Honestly, I adored getting into some large mess of dialogue and smushing it all around until it was perfect. In fact, I had a cool idea yesterday and may revise a little more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love doing revisions--especially when I have some direction. It's like doing an assignment for school (and yes, I'm one of those nerds who loved school).

Can't wait to see the latest version . . .

Save me a piece of that cake, will you?

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

i love it too b/c I know my book will be even better and better. Congrads....
shelli
http://www.faeriality.blogspot.com/

Graeme Stone said...

Let me know when you need outside readers. I'm just starting a new book, and it's very encouraging to hear that you're loving the revision process so much.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Oh, yes! And chocolate revisions are definitely the yummiest.

Our Motto

Our Motto