Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fighting Shape.

Looking back at my six years writing, I can honestly say I am relieved I haven't sold a book before. I wasn't ready.

Don't get me wrong - I thought I was ready all that time. I prayed for it daily! But now I can see I was in training. I was learning.

I was slow roasting.

Here's the thing: Only God knows what my future will bring, and only He holds my life in His hands. I *hope* His master plan involves a book contract but I am thankful it didn't happen last year. Or last semester. Or last month.

I was still in my word gym.

Today I was thinking about how, for the first time in several years, I feel different, grounded, stable and really good. And oddly enough, much of that feeling has been derived from failure. The single most pivotal events in my writing life have come directly from criticism. They were the hurdles I had to jump over, so that now, my legs are strong.

My lungs can carry me further.

Today I cherish those people who were honest with me and told me I needed to flesh out my characters. To make it harder for my MC to get what she wants. To resolve every. last. item.
These people enabled me to grow at the proper speed so that now, I know what I'm doing. I'm more patient, thoughtful, and can handle the pressure better. I make wiser decisions. I balance my time better.


Today I'm in fighting shape, baby!

Now I wake up and look at my WIP and think, "Bring it on, book. I'm ready!"

Are you?

Maybe that hurdle you just jumped was there for a reason.

Maybe the one you're approaching is a good thing. A great thing.

Maybe, you're getting stronger...

20 comments:

Diane J. said...

Well, the hurdles are getting bigger. I'm okay with that. I just cleared a hurdle...well, bump, but I'm still going forward so all is well.

I just came across your blog and I love it!

Candyland said...

Beautifully stated. I'm kind of feeling the same way these days.

Little Ms J said...

I love this, Katie. I love your reference to your strong legs and the hurdles and your lungs. Beautifully said. I am proud of you. You have to train hard to win a marathon and you are well on your way.

JESSJORDAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JESSJORDAN said...

I swear, the more we write, the better we get. I guess this applies to running, too, but, well ... I hate running.

:)

This world holds wonderful things for you, Blue-Jumpsuit-Rocker. And one of these things is definitely a book deal.

Robin Mellom said...

Awesome post.

Just awesome. :-)

storyqueen said...

Every book makes me a better writer, makes me more ready to tackle the next one. Every battle makes me stronger.

This is a great post!

Shelley

Kelly H-Y said...

I can really relate to this ... and was just thinking something similar last week. I've got many commitments on my plate right now ... and started thinking that maybe, as usual, God knew what he was doing when he didn't give me the book deal I thought I was going to get two years ago. It may be because I simply wouldn't have been able to add that to the plate! Like you said ... He's got it planned ... and knows the perfect timing!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I hope I'm getting stronger. :) I'm glad you are feelin' it.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, yeah! Bring it on, book - we're nearly done and I will claim the victory! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :-)

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I wouldn't quite say I'm ready yet. I mean, I think the stories are ready (I really do) but I don't think I, as a person, am emotionally and spiritually prepared for the world of publishing. I'm close though! I know it. :)

Sherrie Petersen said...

Amazing how failure can make us stronger. Beautiful post, Katie.

Gail said...

I so understand what you're saying. I'm wanting to be ready now, but I know I'M still a WIP. I know I have the strength to continue on. I see some in my critique group falling under the I-can't-do-it spell but I refuse to give in. I keep planning new goals and setting my sights on the prize of one day being a published author. And I know I will, just give me patience to endure!!!!

Rebecca T. said...

I so agree. I totally thought I was ready to publish something years ago. Now I'm glad I didn't. I like the gym analogy. I'm still in there getting ready :)

Elana Johnson said...

Ah, I feel this. And sometimes I think I need to go back to the baby class. But you know. Little steps each day. As long as I'm striving for perfection, I think I'm headed in the right direction.

Hardygirl said...

Love it! Cue the Rocky music ..

Lisa Schroeder said...

Suddenly, Christina Aguillera's (sp?) song popped into my head.

"Makes me that much stronger, makes me work a little bit harder..."

I really do think we have to trust the path we're on and know we're on it for a reason, and that we will end up in the right place, eventually.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Um, it's been MUCH longer than 6 years for me, and I'm glad I wasn't going through all this craziness way back when! I hear ya, Katie. Not sayin' HOW long way back when . . . but it's really a learning process, isn't it?

lisa and laura said...

Oh this is such a great post! I know it's totally cliche, but it's so, so true: What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!

Also, I was in Jackson, Mississippi this weekend for a 60th wedding anniversary party and I thought of you girls. The south rocks!

Katie Anderson said...

Shame is right! We could have come met ya!

Our Motto

Our Motto