Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dream Big



"I wanted so badly to study ballet, but it was really all about wearing the tutu."  Elle Macpherson

When I first started writing for children, it was all about the tutu.  Sure, I did the work and wrote the books.  I even had several people read my work and give me great advice and encouragement. The problem was that everyone was SO encouraging and positive about my impending publication and success, I kind of got caught up in the "tutu"--the Newbury Awards, the Oprah interviews, the adoring fans . . . 

When success didn't happen as quickly or surely as I thought it would, I realized that I had some work to do.  I started going to conferences and started seeking out readers who wouldn't simply cheerlead my work as genius--they would point out flaws and weaknesses (an actual critique).  

So, here I am a few years later.  I do still dream of the tutu--who doesn't?  That's the most fun part, and I think we can all agree that Elle Macpherson's dreams of wearing the tutu came true in a big way.   I love the thought of hanging onto that big ole dream out there in the sky while I do the grunt work that I have to do to prop it up someday.  I think this quote sums it up:

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost;  that is where they should be.  Now put the foundations under them."  Henry David Thoreau

So, enjoy your dreams.  And then--get to work.

3 comments:

Katie Anderson said...

Thanks SF!! Very inspiring! I used to shoot for the tutu too - but now I know it's what I'm meant to do, 'cuz I crave to do it - just like you.

You know how on a free day, all we want to do is find time to write?

Yep. That means we are beyond those early tutu yearnings :)

yay us!

Katie Anderson said...

P.s. I loved that last quote...

Christy Raedeke said...

So true, SF. This is hard work with low pay. Only people who have to do write, are driven to do write, can understand the pleasure of our bizarre and solitary pursuit! Dreams are our fuel, and we need a lot of fuel for this long haul. Dream Big, indeed!

Our Motto

Our Motto