Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Braces Saga Continues...


I just had my bottom brackets removed...

No, "removed" sounds so nice - like removing toe nail polish or makeup. I just had my bottom brackets pried off with pliers and the remaining glue underneath them filed down with an industrial sanding machine. To say that it was scary would be an understatement. I wish I had asked the nurse to take a picture of my face, I think it must have looked like this:

You see, my overbite was so deep that my top two teeth were the only teeth that touched the bottom. My entire upper jaw was being stopped by the lower brackets. This kept my jaw permanently ajar and made eating solid food impossible.

Doc agreed to remove the bottom brackets until the tops moved out enough that I could chew again. We estimate a few months.

BUT....

On the way home, I had a horrifying discovery. I could feel that my mouth was now touching on one side in the back, but something still felt off. Pulling down my car mirror, I opened my lips with my finger and could see that I had just created THE SAME PROBLEM but on my back molar! Now, still only one tooth makes contact with the bottom and instead of being my front one, it's the back right molar. But like the front problem, it isn't touching the bottom molar like I want it too. Now, it's touching the bottom metal bracket that is attached to the molar.

Remember: Tooth + Metal = OW!

Sigh.... I don't know why I thought getting braces would be easy. My teeth are complicated to say the least. As complicated as the story I am currently reworking. Oddly, the new problem didn't make me want to ditch the braces entirely, it made me so mad that I am determined to figure out a way to eat better, brush better, and mentally will my friggin' jaw to function again in record time. It did nothing but increase my drive to succeed.

This is what I realized I do with my writing. The fact that it's so hard to sell a book does nothing but make me more determined. Why is this? Am I a glutton for punishment? A lover of pain? Maybe I should have been a Navy Seal. I would have probably kicked butt in boot camp.

14 comments:

Christine Fonseca said...

Dude - you SO should be a navy seal! Just sayin'

Hardygirl said...

Good lord!!! This sounds AWFUL!

Can you at least eat cupcakes in Nashville with me?? They're soft, right?

sf

Elana Johnson said...

I can so see you as a Navy Seal! And I'm sorry this braces thing has created so much pain. OUCH.

Robin Mellom said...

Oh good gravy. I'm SO sorry your braces are being a pain. But it's creating lots of perfect analogies!!

Hang in there. Finish strong.
:-)

Katie Anderson said...

Thanks guys. I'm good. It's funny this braces thing. When my daughter got in the car, I said, "You're never gonna believe what I just endured." She said, "Sanding the glue?" And I was like, "Yes! How did you know?"

She said, "Everyone talks about that."

So, I have decided there is a secret teenage braces society of which I am NOT a member. However, I intend to get in there, babies. I need membership STAT!

Finish Strong, I shall :)

Kelly H-Y said...

OOOWWWWWWW ... I'm cringing on your behalf! You poor thing!

Robin Lemke said...

Oh, I am so sorry! I vividly remember having my braces pried off and it's just as barbaric as you've described. I've mentioned my husband's situation. I know eventually he needs jaw surgery (hereafter referred to as his 'chin job' as his coworkers call it) to fix some of what you're talking about. Plus, every day the braces work, his overbite gets visibly worse, even though the teeth are correcting. It's like a bad comedy around here. I really hope your braces work themselves out. It sounds horrific! (And the story too - I'm in the same place with mine - I just need a good brick wall to beat my head against)

Nicole Zoltack said...

Ugh. I know I had some problems when I had braces but yours sound much worse. :( Ouch!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

You poor thing. How awful. I had similar difficulties. They had to add a lot of "padding" by stacking up layer of the cement on top of my molars. Blah.

But it does get better. I promise.

Best of luck in Nashville, dear! Both of you!

Little Ms J said...

Aw, my poor Katie!

lotusgirl said...

Yikes. This can definitely make your writing about teens more authentic--becoming a member of that braces society and all.

DL Hammons said...

I have two children who both went the braces route and though we are more than pleased with the results, the difficulties going through that was not plesant. I feel for your plight. A lot of people don't understand that braces aren't always for pretty smiles.

I've been told that you reside in Mississippi and wonder if you be interested in helping me out with a quest I'm undertaken. My blog is called Cruising Altitude and I'm trying to link with bloggers from every state. I'd appreciate a visit if your interested. DL

Dawn Simon said...

I'm sorry for the discomfort, but I love your determination! I'm totally determined, too, but I really don't want to be a Navy Seal. I don't like to go into the water unless conditions are perfect and I can inch in, taking my own sweet time. Just thought I'd share... ;)

Have a great weekend!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

lets just take them all out and start over. Poor thing ;( I didnt know the back one was touching now. Gah!

Our Motto

Our Motto