Sunday, June 7, 2009

Katie Parties Alone...


Oh Lawsy. What was I thinking. It is Saturday night and I am home in my blissful reclusive state when I recall that SF's and my friend Neil White is having a book launch party. Neil has written an incredible book that we will discuss in detail soon, so I really wanted to support him and go to this party.

But alone?

Mistake number one.

First of all, I don't think I have ever gone to a party alone. This fact hit me as I was parking, so I called my friend Mimi and made her talk me into the party. I was pretty sure I would know no one. Inside I made another fatal mistake - I ordered Sweet Tea Vodka. Now, some of you may know that I have an addiction to Iced Tea. So, to have the new Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka was quite a treat. But sadly, it did nothing for my people meeting skills. I'm telling you what, I must SUCK at meeting people. Who knew I was such a scaredy cat?

Within the first five minutes a nice man (shown here) called me over to tell me that I was the cutest girl at the party. I explained to him that I was alone and was dared to get a photo with John Grisham. He said, "Well, John isn't here (obviously) but I was his college roommate." Excellent (snap photo). However, he was almost the only person I spoke to all night. No sooner did I approach the Harper Collin's table, were they all called outside for a photo. And the publicist that I met...well, nevermind.

Now, I must excuse myself from typing this to down some water, lest I have a major headache come early morning.

uugghhh

P.S. In my complete insecurity (as I sat alone at a table for a LONG time) I played on my iphone. What else could I do? Talk to my plate? When I left, the adorable girl from Harper said, "Nice to meet you, Katie iphone!" Oh kill me now... Could she have not come over and talked?! Maybe I was supposed to be the initiator. I am the southern gal after all - all sweet and talky. Make that sweet tea'd and tragic :-)

P.P.S. Don't mix the Sweet Tea Vodka with Peppermint Schnapps and water as was recommended to me. Frankly, it's terrible and will burn your lips. If this occurs, DO pass it back to the nice bartender and ask him to mix one with a little Sweet and Sour mix, water, and a lemon. Like real Tea lovers do it.

Here is a recipe I found:

The Delta Martini
2 ounces Firefly
5 ounces Country Time Lemonade
splash of simple syrup (That's sugar in water, Y'all)
turbinado sugar to rim glass and lemon wedge garnish.

Maybe I should call ahead to the Hyatt in LA and make sure the bar is stocked with this stuff. We can all do a celebratory Sweet Tea drink and call it the Plot This. What do ya think?

18 comments:

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

You are HILARIOUS!

BTW - if you go to a BOOK SIGNING, next time read a book instead of playing iwth iphone. Take a book or buy THE book being signed!

Books signal a quiet intelligence and literary knowledge. Iphone signals technical geek with crowd issues. ha!

tee hee! ;)

Christy Raedeke said...

I think you need to have a little Plot This cocktail party in your room and serve these!

The grocery store in the mall next door has an excellent liquor section, as Davis and I discovered last year...

Katie Anderson said...

Good idea Christy! I wonder if they have Firefly? It's new. I could bring it. Wait! Can you travel with Vodka in your suitcase? Is it legal?

And Shelli, you crack me up!

PurpleClover said...

It is so hard to be "lively" at a party when you weren't feelin it to begin with. Sorry you were lonely! I probably would have started chatting up the bartender. lol.

Irene Latham said...

You're adorable, that's what I think. :)

Elana Johnson said...

I totally don't see you as the not-outgoing type! I would've done the same thing. Worse, I probably wouldn't have gone alone, so you're already further than me!

Hardygirl said...

So that's why I had about fourteen texts from you when I got home Saturday night!

Wish I could have been there. We could have both sat around and played with your iphone. Just kidding--even your sad and lonely post made it sounds fun! Sorry I missed it.

sf

lisa and laura said...

OK, I just can't imagine you being a wall flower! You are so cute and outgoing and adorable. No more iPhoning at cocktail hours.

I hate feeling awkward at events, so I can totally sympathize. Next time we're coming with you!!! And people will be wondering who the fun, fabulous and ROWDY group of girls are. We'll totally be the "cool girls" and everyone will want to know us. Just wait.

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, I hate parties. Even when I go with someone, I feel stupid and only talk to the person I came with.

But I would definitely attend a Plot This cocktail hour :)

Little Ms J said...

I loved your message and was so glad that you went! I know how awkward it can be to go to an event alone. Don't worry, doll. You obviously made an impression on John Grisham's college roomie and who cares that the Harper girl referred to your iPhone. She knew your first name. AND - you got a cocktail recipe. Sounds like a good night to me.

Um, the word verification on this is dorksac. I kid you not.

Katie Anderson said...

Oh girls, I have laughed at your comments and wish you all lived here and we could have a cocktail together!

We are definitely the "cool girls"

And "dorksac?!" I might have to print that on a t-shirt. "Don't be a Dorksac! Leave the iphone at home!"

Lisa Schroeder said...

Well, good for you for going in the first place. I probably wouldn't have. I'm such an introvert, it's pretty pathetic. In LA, if you see me sitting alone, come say hi, k?

Robin Mellom said...

Oh I MUST try this. Sweet tea AND vodka!!?? Wow.

Save one for me, Katie iPhone.

:-)

Katie Anderson said...

I should alert you all that I am in talks with Firefly to donate some schwag to my cause.

The cause of children's writers in LA. hee hee

Bring it on!

Kelly H-Y said...

You poor thing ... you are brave to have gone!

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

i would have gone with you! granted, i've never met you, but i AM in oxford now! :)

you gotta love the iphone and all you can do on it. i am unnaturally attached to mine...

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Katie - I love you!!! LOFL!!!!

cristen said...

i love that sweet tea vodka--had some at the beach last week, and my sister took some with her back to VT. although for some reason a major large solo cup of it didn't even give me the slightest buzz...did you see Delta Mag had several recipes with it in may/june? yours very well could have come from Delta--i can't remember.
i'm surprised to hear you're such a wallflower as well.

Our Motto

Our Motto