Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Land of the Lost



If any of you were children in the 70s, you will surely remember the cheesy Saturday morning show The Land of the Lost.  The theme song, the horrible special effects, Wesley Eure with his shirt unbuttoned to his waist (more on him in a minute), the Sleestaks with the crazy synthesizer music and their rubber darts . . .  
This show truly represented the seventies at its finest.

And, I just found out that this hottie is from Hattiesburg, Mississippi--one of my friends met him at the mall when she was seven.  I would be jealous, but I saw Elvis in concert when I was seven.



Anyway, we've been watching the seventies version of Land of the Lost from Netflix for the last couple of years.  My children love it, even though I have to say that as an adult, I just don't get it.  But guess what??  The Will Ferrell remake hits the theaters tomorrow.  You can see from the trailer that they have significantly upped their budget for special effects, but I doubt that they can ever replace Wesley.

sf

8 comments:

Sherrie Petersen said...

My kids are SO looking forward to this movie. I can't believe you can rent the original on Netflix! We'll have to watch 'em.

lisa and laura said...

Will Ferrel is right up there with Andy Samberg and Tina Fey as funniest people on the planet.

Can't wait to see this movie. I only wish that my kids were a little bit older so I could drag them along with me!

Little Ms J said...

Ok, don't get mad at me, but I've always wondered what a Sleestak was!

Hardygirl said...

Solvang-yes, you must rent the original!

Lila--Agreed about Will. I haven't checked the rating on the movie.

Miss J--so, now you know! They're quite terrifying in a b-grade movie kinda way. Plus, they play creepy synthesizer music (that my five-year-old could have composed) whenever they hit the screen.

sf

Kimberly Derting said...

My husband and I DVR'd some old episodes (in anticipation of the movie) thinking to "share" them with the kids. But when we watched one, we realized how crappy the special effects were, and my husband said to me: "I can't believe I used to be afraid of the Sleestaks".

The kids will have to settle for the fancy new version, which is probably WAY more hilarious with Will Ferrel anyway!!!

(And I feel old that MissJ didn't know what a Sleestak was...)

Christy Raedeke said...

Land of the Lost was my favorite show as a kid. I totally wanted Dr. Rick Marshall to be my dad.

Though the movie looks silly, I think Danny McBride and Will Ferrell are both hi-larious. I'll be first in line!

Lisa Schroeder said...

It was one of my FAVORITE shows when I was a kid. Isn't that funny how now you go, whaaat??? :)

We're going to see UP this weekend and since I can't afford to see every movie in the theater, I'm afraid we'll be waiting to see LAND OF THE LOST via netflix later on.

Katie Anderson said...

I can't wait to see this one with you! Especially after seeing those corny side effects at your house :-)

Our Motto

Our Motto