Monday, June 1, 2009

Nothingness

So I droppped the kiddos off this morn and watched my mama friends tear up. For a microsecond I felt bad that I wasn't crying, but my girls are so excited to be going that I am more happy for them than sad. After that I invited the moms to breakfast and thought, Huh. I could sit here all day. I literally have nowhere to go and nowhere I need to be.

An hour or so later though, I had a mini panic attack in Wild Oats wondering if I will actually be able to achieve all that I want to with my book this week.

Luckily that only lasted about four minutes.

Then I drove home and got tired. I counted on my hands the eight hours that I have already been awake and it was only 10 a.m. Maybe I should take a nap, I thought. But then the panic came again that I would sleep my 13 days away and get nothing done.

Back at home I made a salad and sat on the front porch and realized that I was still racing around like I had to go drive carpool in 2 hours or something. It was a strange feeling knowing how rushed my life feels on a daily basis. I rolled a tomato around in the balsamic vinagrette and thought, "Mmmm... this is why Italians mix these two." And once again it dawned on me that I rush through eating without really tasting my food most of the time.

Calling people crossed my mind, but then I thought, No, I just want to sit. I don't need to do anything yet. Not even write. I will just try to enjoy nothingness today.

So that's what I'm doing.

Nothing.

No talking.

No laundry.

No dishes.

No writing.

Nothing.

Until Lindsey gets home and then I might play tennis. But I need to warn him that I intend to live without a watch for the next thirteen days and that means I will write late into the night and might sleep in the afternoon. And I might fix chocolate chip cookies for dinner, or pizza for breakfast. Who knows.

We'll see. I might end up doing laundry, but I'll keep you posted :) And don't panic if you call and I don't answer. I'm probably just doing nothing.

16 comments:

Christy Raedeke said...

Oh, Katie, this sounds divine. Won't it be fun to uncover your natural writing rhythm? If I didn't have people depending on me to get up in the morning, I would do all my writing from 10:30 at night until 3 in the morning. Those are my *special power* hours!

Have fun on your nothing day!

Kelly H-Y said...

Ooohhhhh, that sounds nice!!!!! Enjoy it!

Kimberly Derting said...

*jealous*

Katie Anderson said...

Now I am sweaty and need a shower, but ya know, I might just sit for a while first :-)

This is so weird. I just hope the writing vibe kicks in tomorrow! I love that "natural writing rhythm," Christy!

Thanks Kelly and Kimberly!

Lisa said...

SO jealous and can't wait to read the fruits of your labor. Enjoy!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

sounds amazing girlie - you deserve it and you will get done what you need to.

I am glad you have this time (even though you ditched my return phone call :) for pasta salad and nothing!

PurpleClover said...

That sounds awesome! I wanna do nothing! I want chocolate chip cookies for dinner! lol.

Little Ms J said...

I love this! Someone at the conference said that you don't get inspiration sitting in front of a computer. You get your inspiration out in the world or just sitting still. Ok, that's not the exact quote, but it is the essense of the quote.

I just go home from the grocery store and pulled a container of chocolate frosting and a bag of cookie dough out of the bag. Bon Appetite!

Suzanne Young said...

wow. You speak of things I can't even imagine. Can't. Even. Imagine.

Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!

Elana Johnson said...

Awesome!! I L-O-V-E doing nothing. I really, really do! Enjoy it!

Anne Spollen said...

This sounds weird (and coming from me that's SUCH a surprise), but I get less done when I have time to write because I sit down and read or reorganize the mismatched sock basket or revisit old emails that made me crack up.

When I have like 21 minutes before the bus comes, I can type like a maniac and get something accomplished.

But still, sounds like a lovely time.

Hardygirl said...

Ha Anne!! You sound just like me. I can have all day, and then thirty minutes before I have to pick up the kids, inspiration hits. It may just be a function of the pace of life--with the gift of so MUCH unstructured alone time (like Katie has right now), who knows what we could do?

So happy for you Katie. I'll try to leave you alone :-).

sf

Sherrie Petersen said...

Mmmmm, I can't even begin to imagine, not rushing, what a concept!

StaffPicks said...

.

a brilliant blog said...

nothing is good sometimes.
nothing produces something.

cristen said...

lily goes to camp for the week sunday, and i am stoked! although i still am left with a 3 and 5 yr old. but they'll be at willie price during the day. whoo hooo! i will not be one of those teary moms. i am envious--i never got to go to camp growing up, and i know she's the kind of kid who will LOVE it. she's all about the activities and being independent. so good for you.

Our Motto

Our Motto