Thursday, October 29, 2009

So, I'm revising...


People say to me everyday, "Hey Katie! What's up?" And I know they're bored when I say, "Still revising."

But seriously. It's all I do. I wake up, drink coffee and walk up to my husband's office where I revise. End of story.

I will say, though, it's gotten fun. It was tearful there for a while. I don't know about y'all, but changing the entire storyline of my book was terrifying initially. People told me that changing plot is much easier than changing character or something else, but I whole heartedly disagree. Changing plot is like someone telling me, "You know how SF lives in Mississippi and is married to John and has 3 girls? Well, we want you to make her a lesbian accountant living in NY with 2 dogs."

Also, revising has given me the sad side effect of blog block. Yep, I can barely read them, much less write one. The only entertainment I take in during the week is Modern Family (which was FRIGGIN' hilarious last night!!!!!!!) and GLEE :-)

Beyond that it's words, words and more words.

BUT, I did read a post from one of my favorite bloggers, Stephanie Perkins and it was wonderful, especially for those of you who are revising, so I will link to it here. Do go meet her. She's hysterical. I can't wait for her book. It's one of the few I'm pretty sure I will adore, just by reading her blog.

Peace Out,

Katie

16 comments:

lisa and laura said...

Revising is WAY more important than blogging. Keep up the good work girly!

Emily J. Griffin said...

Katie,
We believe in you! I vow to provide a of bottle of wine to share in celebration of your post-revising victory! Keep it up (no matter how arduous) : )

Corinne Bowen said...

Katie,

I totally agree! I'm in the revision stage and I feel like I've written a whole other book! I loved Stephanie's blog too and was so honored that she answered my question. Hang in there!

Lori W. said...

I can't even remember how I found your blog, but I did, and THIS and the post you linked to are exactly what I needed today. Just got back notes from readers, big revisions are needed, and I felt blue. This spurs me on. Thanks.

Katie Anderson said...

Thanks guys! This is my 3rd or 4th MAJOR revision. I'm talking the kind that results in months of work and almost starting completely over, but it's getting so good that I literally made myself cry by something I wrote this morning. It was so weird.

So, just keep on doing it. You're not the only one that feels daunted by revisions. Many just don't blog about it, but it's scary and causes much self-doubt.

It's all part of the process. I couldn't have been this positive 6 months ago, or even 4 months ago, but now I can't wait for my agent to send this baby out!

Keep. On. Writing.

Keep on doing it. Even when you wanna quit.

Don't.

Keep on doing it.

And then we'll drink a bottle of wine together :-)

Tere Kirkland said...

Stay strong, Katie! Revisions just suck all the life out of you, but when they're done, you've got something wonderful and worthwhile.

Keep up the good work!

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, good for you Katie! Can't imagine changing the whole plot! (Then again, I can't imagine writing a novel in the first place!)

Kimberly Derting said...

OMG, I love the picture you posted...that's how I feel when I'm revising!!! Keep it up the good work. Oh, and you'd probably have to ask SF before making her a lesbian and shuttling her off to NY.

Elana Johnson said...

Good luck Katie! And seriously, your brain goes into some kind of weird funk when revising. This I know.

storyqueen said...

Keep at it! You can do it!

Shelley

Kelly H-Y said...

Good luck! LOVED the picture ... summed everything up perfectly! 'Modern Family' is hilarious ... definitely worth a break! :-)

Hardygirl said...

Hmm. Definitely don't want to be a lesbian accountant--and I would never want to deal with dogs while living in NY. Couldn't you make me one of the cast members of Cats? Who was suddenly jobless when the play ended its five-thousand-year Broadway run?

Love the picture!

Elana J has a killer revision post up right now, too (but I can't figure out how to link to it in the comments--so I'll save it for the next post).

I've brain-frazzled myself from doing a different type of revision (illustrations). It's slow going!!

sf

Little Ms J said...

Isn't it funny how your brain almost rejects any other words that are not yours when you're revising? I can't read, I can't blog... It's almost as if you turn off a piece of yourself so that you can focus.

Good Luck, my dear! I'm proud of you!

Stephanie Perkins said...

I'm so proud of you! YOU'RE DOING IT! Rah rah rah!!!

Go, Katie, Go!

And thank you for linking my blog :) I'm so flattered!

Sherrie Petersen said...

You are working so hard! Revising plot is really tough. I was at it this month, too. See you on the other side :)

AgainstTheGraine said...

Enjoyed the post. Trying to get my wife to continue her writing. Maybe if she reads your blogging. Hmmmm.

Our Motto

Our Motto