Monday, November 9, 2009

Free Books!!

Did the title get your attention?

I am a HUGE Gregory Maguire fan (he's most famous for writing Wicked), and I have just discovered that a friend of mine from college lives down the street from him. They have children the same age and talk about catching the school bus and ballet lessons and birthday parties . . . Can you imagine having conversations like this with Gregory Maguire--I mean, talking to him as if he were a mere mortal???


My friend has hooked me onto a really cool publisher called Concord Free Press, and you can have a Gregory Maguire book for free. You just pledge to donate any amount to charity.

Now, I know most of us are not in a position (YET) to give away our books, but I love this whole concept. And, we can all participate by donating what we would have spent on a book to charity. I'm going to give to our literacy council here in Oxford.
My copy of The Next Queen of Heaven is on its way.


And . . . stay tuned. I've had a crazy week--one that ended in snoopy dancing and champagne sipping!!

sf

6 comments:

Sherrie Petersen said...

What a cool idea! Thanks for the link.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the Snoopy dance :)

Anne Spollen said...

Free books are a wonderful thing.

At some point, you are going to tell us what Snoopy dancing is, yes?

Tere Kirkland said...

I heard about this and thought it was a great way for authors to help us readers become more charitable, no matter what our motivations!!

Good for you for earning your free book, and for spreading the word!

lisa and laura said...

I read an article about this a while back and I think it's truly an incredible business model. What a great way to get a book out into the world AND to give something back to the community.

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

anxious to hear more about the snoopy dance! awesome! ;)

and i've almost got my plot outlined for the character therapist book. will be running it by you all. :)

Christy Raedeke said...

Ah, Snoopy toe dancing? With champagne? It's gonna be a good week. :)

Our Motto

Our Motto