Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Speaking of good food...


I took the chickens to my beloved Chevron for lunch today. That's right, you heard me - the Chevron gas station has some killer food - old country kind of food.

Occasionally, when I tell my yankee friends (which my husband thinks is anywhere outside of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Louisiana) that we're lunching at the gas station, they laugh at me. But today, while paying the lady for my gas/food, I noticed the cover of Bon Appetit magazine, sitting up in a frame on the counter, in which my dear Chevron was written up as a hot spot for food :-)

I said to the lady, "Well isn't that cool!"

And she said, "We were in that Gentleman's magazine a couple of months ago."

"GQ?" I asked.

"That's the one," she said with a smile.

So there, distant friends, I'm not crazy :-)

OH!!!!!! I forgot to mention the fact that Coach O mentions my Chevy in the new movie The Blind Side too!!! Which, by the way, is utterly fantastic! And great for the entire family. RUN, don't walk to see it! It's incredible!!

13 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

That is TOOOO funny! I have never heard of a gas station getting that kind of attention - are you sure this is for real? (just kidding!) ;-)

I wish I could stop by and try some of that killer food.
www.shannonkodonnell.blogspot.com

Jm Diaz said...

Outstanding. Nothing like finding those small little treasures for good food, even if they do pump gas from the same location. :)

lisa and laura said...

"I can't believe you eat at gas stations Katie," said Lisa in her thick Ohio accent.

Seriously. Random. But love it. Please incorporate it into Southern Belle Bootcamp, ok?

Can't wait to see The Blind Side! My husband loved the book and the movie looks fab.

Hardygirl said...

Ahhh, katie neglected to mention that the chev is a mere 2 blocks from my house. Love their fried chicken!

Missed all the press, though. Hope we don't have to start making reservations now that they've been discovered.

What's the scoop on the bp station that had the great African food?

Sf

Tess said...

We have a Chevron here too - and they have a little burger shop inside with the BEST shakes! Nothing beats local food, imho.

happy thanksgiving!

Katie Anderson said...

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. It was an Exxon :-) And, it's closed. But the BBQ that was at the BP is now at the BP over next to the park. And they have great veggies too. And really good vegetable soup in the winter. Mmmm... vegetable soup and cornbread.

Katie Anderson said...

I forgot to say Happy Thanksgiving Y'all! And Lila, the Chevy will def. be a part of Southern Belle Boot Camp. I happen to crave their fried cheese too.

But after watching Food, Inc. today, I think I am really turning into a vegetarian.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I totally want to see the Blind Side. It looks amazing.

And you know, when we were in Missouri we ate at this gas station that had fabulous food, a whole cafe with great shakes and frito pie...must be a southern thing :)

Little Ms J said...

What the hell?

Bon Appetite and GQ magazines covered Chevron. I swear Oxford is in the middle of a vortex. You know that movie The Village with Joaquin Phoenix? That is what your town reminds me of with all your fantastic wonderfulness and such. SF is in Southern Living, you have fried pickles, mansions, writers, Goth parties... although, I understand you do not have a Starbucks. Blasphemy.

Please send me the link to these write ups. I must see this for myself.

Katie Anderson said...

Ms. J, I can't figure out how to find the article online. I'm gonna take a picture of it with the gas station ladies for you :-) I'll send it soon!

Corey Schwartz said...

Ha ha! It's a whole different world down there! :)

JESSJORDAN said...

LOL at the chicken! Perhaps I'll hunt down a Chevron in my area and taste test their chicken ...

And I still can't wait to see The Blind Side!

Concord Carpenter said...

I plan to see the movie this coming weekend... can't wait.

Great blog ladies

Our Motto

Our Motto