Saturday, November 28, 2009

My Secret Weapon


I firmly believe that you can't write a book without a highly qualified support team. I have blogged about KISS, Inc. before, but it's true - without the support of a large group of friends, family and other authors, I feel that no one can write a good book. Keep in mind, within this group, I also count those supportive peeps who give kind and helpful rejections. Yep, I am more thankful for these people than almost any. Any, that is, except for one...

... My Secret Weapon.

The main weapon in my arsenal of tricks, is none other than my mother.

Having just finished reading my book for the umpteenth time, she is not only encouraging and persistant in her good advice, but, she's a grammatical genius, helping me locate rogue commas and overused words that pop up like evil terrorists. Her background in poetry and English makes her an indispensable tool for getting my manuscript in tip top shape before it ever even crosses my agent's desk. Mom has single handedly made me a Revision Goddess, a title I flaunt proudly.

Dear Mom,

I could never have done this without you. And for this reason, when I DO sell this sucker, it will be dedicated whole heartedly to you. Thank you so much! I love you :-)

Katie

17 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Aw, how sweet! I'd better not let my mom see this. First dedication went to David. Next one goes to my kids!

lisa and laura said...

Oh, I love this! Love! Moms are the best, aren't they?

storyqueen said...

Your mom is awesome! (And you WILL sell that book. I am sure of it!)

Shelley

Stephanie Faris said...

How sweet! My mom keeps saying I never let her read my books but I just don't think to pass it around to anyone. I feel like until it's published, it's not good enough for people who care about me to read!

Kimberly Derting said...

What would we do without our moms??? Can't wait to see that dedication!!!!

Irene Latham said...

Aww, I am such a sucker for mom/daughter LOVE! Thanks for sharing. :)

Little Ms J said...

How sweet! Katie, I think you have her smile.

Hardygirl said...

She is so full of awesome! You're a lucky girl.

sf

Shannon O'Donnell said...

You are so lucky to have such a wonderful mother! It's great that the two of you can share your journey. :)

Elana Johnson said...

Aw, she's so cute! I *heart* your mom too, Katie! Good luck with Kiss!

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

seriously. sweetest thing ever. you're such a good daughter. :)

jeannie
The Character Therapist

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Hey, girls! I'm passing an award along to you and your awesome blog. Come by Book Dreaming to see which one! :)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

yay mom!!!!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
This is no surprise - i've been working side by side with your mom for a long time. In our school she is known as the most dedicated teacher, one who never stops being creative and giving to her students. I am honored to have known her and worked with her. I am also glad she has taught a few of my own children. I knew that they'd then have the best teacher, the one who wants what's best for them in every way. I can't express how grateful i am of how kind your mother was to my special-needs son Shlomo. She was always encouraging - an angel. We're so lucky here in Richmond to have her with us. LUcky you to have her support and help with your book. Mine is sitting in a drawer - i've got no support system, and it's hard and lonely to accomplish a lot this way. Good luck!
Perel, Richmond VA

Natalie said...

Mom's are the best! And yours sounds especially lovely. :)

Christina Lee said...

SO darn AWESOME!! Can I borrow her (mine is not around anymore)? LOVE this post!

Joanna said...

Wow! Thank your mom for me too! She rocks!

Our Motto

Our Motto