Thursday, July 8, 2010

Books are the New Black!


Today is the first launch day of the new book review bloggers - The Bookanistas: Books are the New Black. We are a group of writers - in various stages of the publishing process – who have decided to band together and review the special books of our peers. We – as fellow writers – have decided to only post positive reviews, therefore, only reviewing the books we LOVE. No negative reviews here!

The Bookanistas give nothing but love!

Starting today, we will post reviews every Thursday that cover various topics
– upcoming ARCs, books we love, special diamonds in the rough, classics, and even our new favorite covers. This fashionable badge represents our group (club/gang/posse/secret society/peeps).

Here is a list of the Bookanistas: Christine Fonseca, Jamie Harrington, Michelle Hodkin, Kirsten Hubbard, Shelli Johannes-Wells, Elana Johnson, Myra McEntire, Shannon Messenger, Carolina Valdez Miller, Bethany Wiggins and Suzette Saxton, Beth Revis, Lisa and Laura Roecker, Sarah Frances and Katie (Plot This), and Scott Tracey

The Bookanistas think books are the best accessory. If you would like one of us to review your book or ARC, feel free to contact one of us and we will add it to our list.

Today we are reviewing the following:


Elana Johnson - THE HEALING SPELL
Me - ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS
Lisa and Laura - STRANDED
Christine Fonesca - NIGHTSHADE CITY
Shannon Messenger - LINGER
Shelli Johannes-Wells - DARK GODDESS
Scott Tracey - OTHER
Kirsten Hubbard - THE DUFF
Beth Revis - PEGASUS
Carolina Valdez Miller - MATCHED
Jamie Harrington - ARCHVILLIAN
Bethany Wiggins and Suzette Saxton - NIGHTSHADE CITY
Okay. Let's get this party started! It is my great privilege to kick things off with a review of ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, by Stephanie Perkins!
Now I don't know about you, but I sometimes come across a blog that I become addicted to. And, after a while, I decide that I can't wait to read this blogger's book. Stephanie Perkins was that writer for me. Her blog posts were always so creative and adorable that I just knew her book would be the same. So when my family was headed up to ALA, I begged them to get me a copy of her ARC, and I was not disappointed.

Here is the blurb from PM: ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins, in which American Anna Oliphant spends a year in a Parisian boarding school and falls for her multi-national classmate, plus a companion novel, LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR, to Julie Strauss-Gabel at Dutton Children’s Books, in a very nice deal at auction, for publication in Fall 2010, by Kate Schafer Testerman at kt literary (World English).

In short, it's about a girl. It's about a boy. It's about Parisian boarding school, almond-scented macarons, famous cemeteries, and cinemaphiles. It's about heartache. And it's about true love.

One of my favorite things about Stephanie's book was how real the romance felt - even awkward and frustrating at times. It's one of those books that after reading, I later found myself thinking about the characters, wondering what they were doing, and then having to remind myself they weren't real. Ha!

And more importantly, it's the first book I have ever given to my daughter to read - and I read a lot of books. But like I said, this one seemed to capture a real romance, and in my opinion didn't glamorize sex, drugs and rock and roll to an unrealistic or unhealthy degree. Just a great read.


17 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I just came over from Shannon and Elana's blogs. This is a wonderful idea, and I love the avatar. Great title. How true. Looking forward to reading!!

Great review, BTW.

Hardygirl said...

You MUST pass along to me, my dear. I'm dying to read this one (after Kate is finished, of course!).

sf

Loretta Nyhan said...

How can I resist a book about Paris AND love? Those two go so well together, non?

This one is going on my list!

lisa and laura said...

I can't WAIT to read this book!!! Great review, guys!

Christine Fonseca said...

Love Love Love!!!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

oooooo la la. Just the setting--a Parisian boarding school--would make me want to read this. Great review!

Jemi Fraser said...

Love this idea :)

Sounds like a terrific book!

Elana Johnson said...

Awesome! I love this cover and can't wait for this book to get to my mail box. :)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

i so want this book - sigh!

Shannon Messenger said...

Yeah, I've already been chomping at the bit to read this and now I'm REALLY dying for it. Love Steph. Love Romance.

*sighs wistfully*

Great review!

Scott Tracey said...

Aww, Paris and romance? It's like the peanut butter and jelly of my DVR. (No seriously, there's tons of romantic comedies on there right now).

I love this, and can't wait to read!

Stephanie Perkins said...

"it's the first book I have ever given to my daughter to read"

Oh, Katie! I'm teary. What an incredible compliment. THANK YOU. Thanks for this wonderful review, and thank you everyone for your kind comments!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Great review Ladies! It sounds like a great read...

Kelly H-Y said...

I love this idea ... and what a great group of authors!!! And ... the book you reviewed sounds fabulous. And, thanks for the comment about passing it on to your daughter ... my daughter's to young, but I'm always looking out for good reads for my niece, but am always concerned about the things you mentioned. I'll have to get this one for her!

Myrna Foster said...

I just gushed about this book on my blog. I loved it so much I'm giving away a pre-order. Thanks for spreading the love!

Samantha said...

Sounds like a great book and I'm going to go check out Stephanie's blog after that rave review you gave it. Have a great weekend!

storyqueen said...

The Bookinistas are going to start a revolution!

Cannot wait to read Steph's book!!! I am buying some nutella and bananas just for the occassion.

Shelley

Our Motto

Our Motto