Saturday, July 24, 2010

Katie Anderson, Master Baker



This morning I decided to clean my house. And by "clean" I mean, DEEP CLEAN.

As I was taking every last item out of my pantry, I found, way high up on a top shelf, a plethora of cookie making hardware. I'm not sure if hardware is the right word, but I found loads of fancy copper cookie cutters in tremendous shapes, as well as expensive icing dye in colors like poppy-red glitter, iridescent gold, and glistening evergreen.

It made me laugh because there was a time when I aspired to be a master cookie chef, rivaled only by Martha Stewart herself.

I went as far as to order my supplies from high-end New York suppliers and remote specialty shops. I have strange bottles of something called Lemon Emulsion (?) and weird gloves and icing tips.

What the heck?

It must have been right after I finished my short-lived career selling make-up and stationary, and right before I tried to get a black belt in Karate.

Lawsy.... thank God I found my true calling in this wonderful world of writing.

Anyone want some cookie stuff?

Because I sucked at it.

8 comments:

Hardygirl said...

Ha!! We should have a "cookie day" with our girls--and just let them go at it.

This reminds me of when I ordered this gold metallic cookie paint to use so that I could win the annual Christmas Cookie Swap. Then, I read the ingredients . . . MERCURY. The warning label said that it wasn't poisonous as long as you used it in small amounts. I was too scared of it to ever use it to create my masterpiece batch of Christmas star cookies.

Imagine if I'd poisoned all the mothers and children in Oxford. Right before Christmas, too. Yikes.

sf

alexis nicole said...

LOLOL! I have done stuff like this before. Like one time, I decided that I was going to garden. I planted a whole garden and it was B E A-utiful. Then, I forgot to water it and it died. I still have one flimsy tomato plant that leans to the left and has some kind of strange disease. . I suck at gardening.
I want some cookie stuff! ;)

sf, your comment made me laugh too! That is sort of creepy...

storyqueen said...

I am glad you found your way to writing (because you rock!!)

I need to do one of those DEEP CLEANs.

Badly.

But I would rather make cookies.

shelley

Unknown said...

HAHAHA! Every once in awhile I will get it into my head that I can be the Master of (fill in the blank here). NONE of it ever works, but at least I have fun and find new story ideas!

Little Ms J said...

I decided I wanted to paint. I bought a ton of art supplies, realized my four year old nephew has more talent and left all my paints and such in a box. Now I want to start a tomato garden. Sadly, tomatoes give me indigestion so I'll keep you posted on how that adventure ends up...

By the way, Lemon Emulsion sounds like some kind of paint stripper or anti-coagulant.

Dr. Mohamed said...

Baking, make-up, karate and writing? Wow, so diverse. The common theme in all your goals is that you always shoot for the very top (better than Martha Stewart, a Black Belt). With all that drive, I know you'll make it as a writer!

Best wishes,

Mohamed

Danielle said...

If you're really interested in giving away/selling your cookie supplies, I'm interested! There must be something about being a writer that also translates into a desire to bake - that's what I do when I'm not writing (or working).

Jeannie said...

I just want to eat your cookie stuff after they have performed their magic. Yum!

Our Motto

Our Motto