Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Re-re-re-re-re-revisions

Whoa!  I hate to follow Katie's post, but I guess I have to.  What a day, huh??

So . . . I'm revising.  Again.  My picture book has been through the wringer for a couple of years, now.  It's been subjected to three SCBWI critiques, editor interest and revisions (followed by rejection), and countless reads by super-writer friends (some of you are out there--thanks!).   I'm once again getting to the polishing stages and working on the sketches for the illustrations. I've gotten some great illustration advice as well as some revision advice about the pacing of the writing earlier this week, and I am overwhelmed but excited to get to work.

Here's my corner of the studio that is dedicated to this part of my work.  




I have printed up a tiny copy of my dummy onto index cards so that I can storyboard the entire book and look at it as a whole (it's to the right on the white magnetic board).  It is amazing how revealing it is to look at the project all at once like this.  I already see some problems with action and page turns.

Plus, I'm basically going to have to redo almost all of these sketches to fit with the new direction of the book.  Yikes!   Did I say that I am overwhelmed???   

Uh, and did I mention that my youngest daughter finishes school in two short weeks?  I really want to get the bulk of this finished so that I can be at the tweaking stage when Julia is home with Mommy. My plan is for her to color my computer printed black and white sketches while I work--I just have to keep her away from the originals.   She can sit quietly at my feet and color. This will work right??

So, it's back to the drawing board.  After tomorrow's field trip of course . . . and cardboard box racecar day Friday . . . and Double Decker Arts Festival this weekend . . . Yahhh!!

sf



14 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Wow! I had no idea you illustrated too! Good for you. If you ever need another reader, I'd be happy to take a look for you, SF.

Little Ms J said...

Cardboard racecar day? Man, you guys have creativity dripping from your street lights out there in Oxford, eh?

I can't wait to see your illustrations! What is the premise of the story? I loved the one I saw printed in the article you guys did a month or so ago.

Katie Anderson said...

SF - You need to scan a spread in here so everyone can see how mega talented you are! Do the one of Swishy with the green bear.

I can not WAIT to see the finished product! This picture book is amazing.

But cardboard racecar day sounds icky to the max! Thank goodness my chickens are WAY past that!

Anyhoo... I'll pop over before the big DD Fest. I will have 8 little girls with me :-) Did you hear that? EIGHT! - but they're preteens with cell phones, so I plan to turn 'em loose Baby!

lisa and laura said...

You have to post some pictures of your work! I don't know anything about writing a picture book, so I'd love to see how it all works.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I remember trying to work when my kids were little. They always seemed to draw on everything except what I wanted them to draw on. We're waiting to replace the dining room table until we're absolutely sure the 6-year-old is over it...

Hardygirl said...

Ooo. Yes Corey! That would be awesome. Let me slog my way through this round, then I'll kick it your way.

J, I'll shoot some pix of our car--lotsa glitter and pink flowers. It's funny Katie--last time to be in the Willie Price Grand Prix Racing Day, and I'm a little teary. So unlike me!

Lila, I think maybe I'll post some pix as these revisions are going.

Thanks for the interest!! Now back to packing snacks for the field trip tomorrow. Woo hoo!!

sf

Weronika Janczuk said...

SF, good luck! Two weeks is a short time! :) I also would love to see some of your sketches.

If you ever need another perspective, give me a shout out!

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

LOVED seeing your work space, sf! Good luck on it, it's going to be a darling book!

Just one question - you're not drawing ALL of the sketches, are you? That's a lot of work! I've heard that you only need a few to show an editor your capabilities and the style of the book.

PurpleClover said...

You girls make me want to move to Oxford.

Can't wait to hear the details on the PB!

I've concluded that I must get my hubby to illustrate my PB to give it a chance. I dont think agents want to take on a non-illustrating PB writer these days. :(

But he would be great!

Stephanie Perkins said...

Ooo, I love seeing studios and writing desks and such! LOVE. Thanks for sharing, and GOOD LUCK with everything!

Christy Raedeke said...

I'm also a huge fan of seeing people's work space. Love your illustration corner! So is this a book about Swishy, the girls we saw in the article about you? She was amazing!

BTW, Paul says you girls are going to SCBWI LA - is it true? Please be true!

Katie Anderson said...

We'll be there Christy! Already booked room and tickets :-)

Will you?

Hardygirl said...

Solvang--yes! I have some great artwork on a chest in our bedroom, and there was a really cute little flying man drawn on our bathroom door in our old house.

Weronica--yeah, two weeks is actually not even realistic, but I'd like to get as much as I can done while I've got some alone time. Love your blog!

Kimberly--I'll probably just do a couple of finished illustrations (painted and with color). These are sketches for a book dummy which is kind of like a rough draft for how I envision the book to look.

Oh, and Purple, don't send in that picture book manuscript with illustrations unless you yourself are the illustrator. That's a big no-no in the world of picture books.

Thanks Stephanie and Christy--I love my little space, too. And, yes Christy . . I'm planning on L.A. Baby! I may have to hitchhike to get there, but I'll be there!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

good luck - how is your other story coming?

Our Motto

Our Motto