Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A little sumthin'



Well . . . . I've still kinda got nothin'. I'm here figuring out all the different things that I can make from a turkey carcass . . . turkey gumbo, curry turkey salad, turkey tetrazinni, turkey soup (yes Shelli, I'm sounding very Bubba Blue from Forest Gump).
Naturally, my children are sick of turkey, so I'm making grilled cheeses.



We're in the after Christmas groove over here. It's kinda worthless fun--we've got new board games, wii games, art supplies, books . . . Plus, my daughter is learning tons of new songs to play for me on her guitar (I've finally figured out that I can download the chords for songs that I like and she'll learn how to play them!!!!). She's serenading me with a little Lady Lenka right now :-)


Here she is at my in-laws' house the day after Christmas playing with my niece Julia (who hung the moon, as far as I can tell). How cool to be a guitar playin' girl?


Here I am holding up my phone where I have downloaded chords and lyrics for Anne to play requests. She's playing our requests!!!



Oh, and speaking of my in-laws . . . my mother-in-law, aka Anne Mama, was interviewed this morning (all morning, in fact) by a group who is making a documentary inspired by Kathryn Stockett's book The Help.

The filmmakers are traveling through the South asking people for their stories about relationships with domestic help in the sixties. The film is not connected to the book in any way, it is just a glimpse into the true-life stories that were happening in the sixties. I wasn't there to hear my mother-in-law be interviewed, but I heard that she was amazing (she IS amazing, after all--and ninety-years-old!!). Here's is her picture with her housekeeper and best friend Irma.



They actually hooked mikes up to the two of them this morning and recorded them as they went through their day. And, yes, we have totally been teasing Anne Mama and calling her "Miss Daisy."

Gone to break up a Wii fight. Ugh.
sf


11 comments:

Lori W. said...

Wii fights? Don't I hate them. I read The Help over the holidays. Great book and the documentary sounds really interesting. How cool for your grandmother and her best friend to get to tell their stories.

Sherrie Petersen said...

How cool that your MIL will be part of the documentary. The Help was one of the few "grown up" books I read this year and it was fabulous.

I love that you have a guitar playing daughter. Such a cool instrument. And so much more portable than a baby grand :)

Christina Lee said...

Aww your daughter looks so sweet with that guitar in her hands. And how cool is that about the documentary? You'll have to give us a heads up to watch it in the future! Happy New Year!

Tamika: said...

We have been having Wii fights since Christmas morning! With my husband being the loudest cry baby- no doubt!

How wonderful to tell your grandmother and best friends story- I hope you will share more with us. What a legacy!

Kari Lynn Dell said...

Don't even talk to me about Wii. My sister brought hers, let my four year old play it for three days, then took it home (six hours away). Incessant high-pitched whining has ensued. Sister may have to either give up the Wii or die for doing this to us.

bryna said...

great family photos!

Elana Johnson said...

Sounds like you've had a wonderful few days. I love seeing all the pictures.

Daisy Whitney said...

Grilled cheese -- food of the Gods...love it

lisa and laura said...

I covet your niece Julia's scarf.

Also your mother-in-law and her bestie are ADORABLE. Can't wait to see that documentary. You must let us know when it's released!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love grilled cheese sandwiches - we had them for dinner last night. :)

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us, and the cool story about your mom-in-law!

Happy New Year! :)

James and Daniella said...

Interesting thhoughts

Our Motto

Our Motto