Friday, December 4, 2009

Realizing Joy


I am ready to sell my book. And when I say "sell" I mean, "sell BIG."

BUT.

If I don't sell it, I will still be happy. Make that joyous. I'm not sure I realized this until a few days ago, but the fact remains that writing this book, pursuing publication, attending conferences, and meeting loads of people in the process has brought me more joy than I have ever experienced in my life. Seriously. Outside of the normal joys of being healthy, having a wonderful husband and two beautiful children, writing is the single biggest love of my life.

Over Thanksgiving I found myself getting into bed one night and pondering my characters as if I had a secret lover. I laid there and wondered what I might have them do, or say, and what plot angles I might use. The next morning I took some notes and thought, "I can't believe I'm lucky enough to get to do this." I mean how many people discover the career of their dreams? Ever?

Therefore, although it's my greatest desire to be able to walk into a Barnes and Noble and buy my book (off of this table - or have it made into a giant Christmas tree :-). I will try to remember that the real joy has come from simply being allowed to write it.

12 comments:

storyqueen said...

That is so true, Katie. The best thing about being a writer is getting to write.

(I want a Christmas tree of my books!!! But since they are rather thin, being picture books and all, I think it would probably just look like a big pile....)

Shelley

JESSJORDAN said...

Amen to that! And that Christmas tree is just adorable. :)

Sherrie Petersen said...

So happy for you! I do spend as much (or more!) time thinking about my characters as I do real people :)

Tamika: said...

It truly is the most remarkable experience! Having the privilege to trod the road of my dreams seems like a fantasy every time I sit in front of my laptop.

We are so blessed!

Tere Kirkland said...

Wow, what book is that tree made of? How cool!

And I couldn't agree with you more, Katie! I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Little Ms J said...

I love this post! While I can't quite call writing my career just yet, it is definitely my calling... and my secret lover.

Kimberly Derting said...

I think that's the point all writers should get to, it's very freeing to write because you love and not just for the desperation of *being published*. It really is amazing to do something you love!

Lisa Schroeder said...

Truly, meeting all the writers and being a part of this amazing community is one of the best things about being a writer.

lisa and laura said...

Katie - I LOVE this post. I remember reading somewhere that people struggle with realizing their dreams. They get it in their head that attaining a big goal will make them happy. And it does make them happy for like a minute and then you go back to being exactly as you were before. The joy is in the journey my friend. I'm so glad you've found it.

Corey Schwartz said...

Love the attitude... and the book tree!

Sarah Campbell said...

Amen, sister!

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Love that Christmas tree of books! Me want one! Love your post about joy and blessings, Katie doll - SO TRUE!!!

Our Motto

Our Motto