Sunday, December 6, 2009

Look what I've got!!


As a reward (or actually an early Christmas present) for signing with super-agent, my husband bought me a Wacom tablet.

On this gorgeous piece of plastic, I can draw just like I'm using a pencil, and my drawings will appear on my computer screen . . . where I can EASILY edit them and move characters around within scenes in my story. EASILY. Right?

Okay, so learning how to use a new piece of technology always involves me spouting out words that you will never see in one of my children's picture books. But, once I get this thing figured out, I'm going to be streamlined as I work up my book dummies.

I still plan to use good old fashioned paper with pens, watercolors and gouache for my final illustrations. But there are forests worth of trees that I would normally use just to plan what those final illustrations will be--plus, until now I've been going through the time-consuming process of drawing on paper, scanning into my computer, redrawing the image a tiny bit differently, scanning again, over and over again (the whole time spouting out words that are not appropriate for children . . . )

Wait a minute. Let's think about this. I'm saving hours of time and reams of paper. This thing has already paid for itself. I mean, I'm saving so much money, I'm practically making money. Maybe I should buy myself another gift . . . suggestions???

sf

18 comments:

Tere Kirkland said...

That thing is awesome!

Want!

Christina Lee said...

WOW very cool!!! I've never seen one before!

Tamika: said...

Wow- hubby gets gold stars all the way around! Have a blast being creative and uber sophisticated!

Be sure to share some of your pictures with us.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I've never heard of one of those - sounds awesome! Have fun playing with your new toy. :)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

my hubby has one and he LOVES it - you deserve it girlie!

Kristi Valiant said...

I've used a Wacom tablet for years and create all my current art with it. I know you'll love it once you get used to it.

Sarah Campbell said...

My husband loves his wacom. I have been known to covet it -- and I'm not even a drawing-type artist.
Gotta have the right toys (uh, I mean tools)!!!

Anne Spollen said...

So nice to see adults can still get toys! Very cool --

Joanna said...

Wow! Your husband rocks!!

Joanna said...

Between Katie's mom and your doting husband, I think you girls have got it good :)

Elana Johnson said...

Wow, so cool! Congrats (and what a great hubby!)

lisa and laura said...

FANCY!!!! Does this mean we get to see more of these pretty pictures on the blog?

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, so cool! Hope you're going to share those illustrations with us!

Hardygirl said...

Thanks all!! Yes, hubby gets major points!

I have to say, it's tricky getting used to drawing on a plastic tablet and looking UP at a screen to see the image. But, it's fun stuff!

sf

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Awesomely cool, sf! What a great hubby, too.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Ha! I love when a purchase makes me money!

I used to have one of those tablets back when I did more drawing (actually for me it was more like tracing!) for my graphic design work. They are pretty awesome. And so is your hubby!

sunna said...

OMG WANT.

Seriously, I can't draw at all, and I still want one. That is the coolest gadget ever. Enjoy!

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow ... that is SO cool!!

Our Motto

Our Motto