Saturday, January 17, 2009

Family Movie Night

We've just returned from "family movie night"--Bedtime Stories with Adam Sandler.  Great movie.  Fun.  Clean (whew!).  Of course, now I watch all movies with an eye toward the writing, the dialogue, the story arc . . .

Did Katie mention that she and I are STOKED to get crackin' on our screenplay once again? Yeah, I think she's mentioned it.  It's been on the back burner for about a year now, and we are both at a place mentally where we really, really want to crank it into high gear and GO.  

We just ordered our software so that we can i-partner as we write--think about it . . . we can both be sitting in our own beds wearing our flannel pjs and reading glasses . . . surrounded by down pillows and high threadcount sheets and snoring hubbies and wine bottles . . . . sorry, that actually sounds really good right now with or without the screenwriting.  Okay, FOCUS (that was my word, right?).  So, we can work on the same document together while we're at different places.  Cool, huh?  

But, I'm sure we'll do most of our writing together because it's much 
more fun that way.  And, we love hanging out at our coffee shop which will someday be on tour as the place where it all began--I can dream, right?  Wait a minute, FOCUS . . .

5 comments:

Katie Anderson said...

Aaahhh... We just returned from movie night too! Saw Paul Blart, Mall Cop. Killer title, huh? Just kidding. It was actually a fun movie for us all to see.

And I did notice a little somethin' in the writing that I need to mention to ya later from our beds while we "i-partner." haha

When is the durn software gonna get here?!

Corey Schwartz said...

Ha! Sounds GREAT! I feel a little left out :) You two are so lucky to have each other.

Katie Anderson said...

aawww Corey! Don't feel left out! Since we all LIVE in our computers, we are all in the same cyberspace room :-)

But no - I hear ya. I have realized how truly blessed I am to have good ol' SF - and actually many other writer friends here within my tiny literary town...

It's amazing really. Come see us! Where do you live?

Laini Taylor said...

That sounds like so much fun! Screenplays are kind of daunting to me, maybe because I love descriptive writing so much and the third-person narrative voice; I don't know how I'd tell a story without it. But I think some day I'll try. My husband got me a screenwriting book last year, but so far I've just flipped through it.

Happy writing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laini!

Screenwriting is definitely a different type of writing--tons more dialogue and action. Plus, you don't have nearly as many pages to develop your story and characters. But, man, it's fun. You have to think visually--similar to the way graphic novelists write.

I will say that I don't think I could do it without my partner. We read scenes out loud to each other so we can see how things would play out. And we laugh A LOT.

I think you should definitely take some time to read your screenwriting book. I'd love to see what you would do with a movie script- It would be such a whacked out crazy fun show!

Our Motto

Our Motto